Identified as a district in the borough of Pankow in Berlin, Germany, Weissensee acquired its name from a small lake that surrounds it. Declared as a borough even before the 2001 administrative reform of Berlin, Weissensse comprises the areas of Karow, Stadtrandsiedlung Malchow, Blankenburg, Heinersdorf, and Weissensee. The area surrounding the lake Weissensee is distinguished by its several places of interest, significant structural designs, lakes, parks, and various activities. The Radrennbahn Weissensee cycling pathway functions as a venue for famous music concerts. One of the largest Jewish cemeteries in Europe could also be found in Weissensee. Renowned people like the painter Lesser Ury as well as the publishers Rudolf Mosse and Samuel Fischer are buried in the famous cemetery. Kunsthochschule Berlin-Weissensee is recognized all over the country as an art school.
In the year 1313, Weissensee was initially cited as Wittense. The original inhabitants of the district survived mainly on fishing. These fishermen established themselves on the eastern coast of the lake, where an old trade route serves as a means of connecting Berlin with Szczecin, also known as Stettin and the Baltic Sea, currently recognized as the Bundesstraße 2 federal highway.
Weisensee is a least occupied district in Berlin. In the past, its nearest boroughs Pankow and Prenzlauer Berg have outshined it. Nevertheless, Weisensee is starting to be acknowledged by locals and tourists, and its popularity is rising for the reason of its immediacy to the prominent place of Prenzlauer Berg. An access to the area of Mitte is now very convenient due to the construction of the gondolas.
Industry has started to develop in Weisensee between the years 1898 to 1906 as factories, storage areas, and courtyards were constructed. These edifices are considered as the pioneer of the recently reacquired Gewerbehöfe. In addition, gas, heat, and electricity are supplied to its residents. In order to gain access conveniently to other areas, railways were built. After its launching in the year 1908, larger and more established companies are now operating in the district of Weisensee.
The Film and Cinema industry first emerged in the years 1913 to 1929 in Weissensee. Movie studios produced a number of films. One of the famous films is entitled “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari”. In 1929, cinema Delphi was opened at the Gustav-Adolf-Straße. Seven more cinemas were added at Antonplatz. At present, only the Toni cinema has remained. In September of 2010, ARD television series has been transmitted in Weissensee.
Weissensee may not be as vibrant as compared to its nearby boroughs Prenzlauer Berg and Pankow. Nonetheless, it is a suitable place for people who search for a balance between a lively urban life and seclusion. Some of the famous cultural and educational establishments located at Weissensee include the Cinema Toni on Antonplatz, Art Academy Berlin-Weissensee. Bread Factory, Milk house at the White Lake, House of Youth Bunte Kuh eV, stage and cinema on Caligariplatz, open-air stage at the White Lake, environmental office at the White Lake, district library close to Anton place, and many more are also located in the area.