Treptow is a former borough located in the southeastern part of Berlin. The borough merged with Köpenick to form the bigger Treptow-Köpenick in 2001. The word Treptow is also the german name of Trzebiatów meaning Poland, and the old name of Altentreptow, in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The district of Treptow is composed of the localities of Alt-Treptow, Niederschöneweide, Johannisthal, Plänterwald, Baumschulenweg, Adlershof, Altglienicke and Bohnsdorf.
Alt-Treptow, the locality, was inhabit in the 6th century by the Slavic people and was mentioned in 1568 with the name Trebow. The locality was merged into Berlin with the Greater Berlin Act in 1920. Alt-Treptows northern and western borders were crossed by the Berlin Wall from 1961 to 1989. In 2001, with the other surrounding neighborhoods Niederschöneweide, Johannisthal, Plänterwald, Baumschulenweg, Adlershof, Altglienicke, and Bohnsdorf were disestablished to merge into the Treptow-Köpenick borough.
Plänterwald is located in the south-east side of Berlin and it is crossed by the river Spree. It is bordered with the localities of Alt-Treptow, Oberschöneweide (which is separated by the Spree), Baumschulenweg and Neukölln. The river Spree also divides the Stralau peninsula, which is a zone of Friedrichshain in the Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg district, and Rummelsburg in Lichtenberg.
Baumschulenweg is a village which was first settled around 1823. In 1920, since it was a former municipality that was a part of Treptow, it merged with Berlin with the “Greater Berlin Act”. It became an autonomous locality in 1945 and became separated from Alt-Treptow. Since the village’s position which on East Berlin but is partially bounded by West Berlin, Baumschulenweg was crossed by the Berlin Wall from 1961 until the wall fell on 1989.
Niederschöneweide was first mentioned in 1598 as Schöne Weyde and became an autonomous municipality in 1850. The municipality grew as an industrial town at the end of the 19th century. It merged with Berlin with the Greater Berlin Act in 1920 and between the years of 1949 and 1990, being part of East Berlin, new residential complexes were established at its subdivision, Oberspree.
Johannisthal was first mentioned as a locality on November 16, 1753. The municipality was served by a train station in 1880 on the Berlin-Görlitzer Eisenbahn. It was awarded the title of “Bad” (Bath) and it became Bad Johannisthal. The town hall of Johannisthal was built between 1905 and 1906 and in 1920, with the Greater Berlin Act, the town merged into Berlin.
On the southwestern side of Adlershof is known today as the "City of Science, Technology and Media" and it was once known as the Johannisthal Air Field. The place is a historical landmark as of today for Germany since Germany’s first motorized aircraft took off from this airport at the start of the 20th century. Some of the famous inventors who made Adlershof-Johannisthal famous were Albatros, Fokker, Rumpler and Wright.
Altglienicke or the village of Glinik was first mentioned in 1375. Through Altglienicke, which is in East Berlin, and Rudow, which is in West Berlin, the Berlin Wall passed from 1961 to 1990.
Bohnsdorf is located in the southeastern suburb of Berlin, having Altglienicke, Grünau, and with the municipality of Schönefeld as its borders. The Berlin Schönefeld Airport is located near the village.