Neukoelln, situated in the southeastern area of the city is Berlin’s eighth borough. It is in fact one of the largest boroughs, yet considered as one of the poorest district in Germany, with an adequate social infrastructure. This leads to a difficulty in upholding intercultural assimilation, which is always in dispute with the educational, integrative, economic, and social areas.
In order to enhance the living situation in the neighborhood of Neukoelln, its citizens work voluntarily. The commitment brings an intercultural integration as well as citizenship education that signify major influencing aspects on a very restricted level. An effort to sustain and observe intercultural integration by a group of dedicated associates in Neukoelln is implemented.
Having a history as a poor working-class section, Neukoelln consist of a large number of migrants. The southern and northern areas of Neukoelln have a substantial distinction. The Southern vicinities such as Rudow, Britz and Buckow, happened to be a part of Berlin in 1930, maintained its edifices. On the other hand, Neukoelln’s northern area, nicknamed Kreuzkölln, has undergone renovations as a major group of artists and students are relocating into the area.
The district of Neukoelln lies in the northern part of the borough, found at the Landwehr Canal, which is close to Kreuzberg in Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg. Stadtring motorway creates the margin with the Britz area on its southern part. It is also in the boundary with Tempelhof in Tempelhof-Schoneberg in the west, divided by the extensive field of the previous Tempelhof Airport and in the east, Alt-Treptow Planterwald and Baumschulenweg, situated in the east.
In the year 1360, Neukoelln was first talked about in the town, surrounding the current Richardplatz, which was formerly identified as Richardsdorf, located in the southeast of Berlin. It was possessed by the Order of St. John. For this reason, the present day’s district coat of arms displays the Maltese cross.
In the year 1737, approximately 350 Moravian Protestants inhabited the area, with the permission of King Frederick William I of Prussia. The area is identified as Rixdorf. Churches and villages were constructed along the road, which today is recognized as Richardstraße. In 1797, the new town was endowed its own constitution.
A Turkish memorial park was erected in 1863 located in the northern area of Rixdorf. In 1874, when both parts of the town were reunited, the place had 8,000 settlers. It increased to 15,000 the following year. In 1912, it was presumed that it obtained its name from the old Colln, which is part of medieval Berlin. Being the largest village in Prussia, Rixdorf was declared as an independent city on May 1, 1899. However, in 1920 the independence was terminated as it was merged into the Greater Berlin. During the years 1945 until 1990, Neukoelln turned out to be a fragment of West Berlin’s American region.
According to the latest survey in 2010, Neukoelln has a total population of 310,283, 40% of which comprises non-German origin. The district is also renowned for its Arab, Kurdish, and Turkish population, which inhabited the neighborhood. Currently, Sub-Saharan Africans and Romanian people are moving in the place.
Neukoelln is separated into five localities. These include Britz, Buckow, Neukoelln, Gropiusstadt, and Rudow.
Neukoelln is a district that has wonderful sights. Some of which are the Sehitlik Mosque that lies on the Turkish cemetery and the Rixdorf village church, publicly called Bethlehem Church since the year 1912.
Neukoelln is now the centre of significant changes in its culture and society brought about by political events globally as well as the rising movement of its capital, objectives, and the people itself. Neukoelln of today strives to compete with the speed and intensity of the changes that is happening in the city of Berlin.