Before the union of Hohenschonhausen and Lichtenberg in Berlin’s 2001 administrative reform, it was already an independent borough of Berlin, which continued to survive since 1985. It was made up of regions such as Alt-Hohenschonhausen, which is the center of the borough, Falkenberg, Neu-Hohenschonhausen, Wartenberg, and Malchow. The region of Hohenschonhausen is situated in the north-eastern part of Berlin, at the edge of Lichtenberg, Marzahn, Barnim, Weissensee, and Prenzlauer Berg, which are the previous regions.
Under the 1920 Weißensee borough, the regions of Hohenschonhausen, Falkenberg, Wartenberg, and Malchow’s were divided. It was only by the year 2001 that the borough of Lichtenberg occupied the place. Furthermore, the housing domains of Malchow, Falkenberg, and Wartenberg turned out to become the Neu-Hohenschonhausen section. On the other hand, the region of Hohenschonhausen changed its name to Alt-Hohenschonhausen. Alt –Hohenschonhausen is the place where the famous Hohenschonhausen Memorial Center could be found. In addition to that, the Hohenschönhausen Castle, which is also located at the same area, is responsible for the re-establishment and recovery of the manor house. The association of the Hohenschönhausen Castle also organizes several events like readings, concerts, and exhibitions.
Since 1230, the community of Hohenschonhausen has already come into existence. However, it was initially cited between the years 1352 until 1356. At first, the community is not constrained by the neighboring towns of Wartenberg, Falkenberg, and Malchow. Nevertheless, it was the preferred location in the city of Berlin, following a hasty development in the late 19th and early 20th century. Until the late 1970’s, the district of Hohenschönhausen maintained its rural atmosphere, although certain structures were built leaving an urban façade. Its original structures consisting of a number of farms and crofts were still present. Between the years 1972 until 1975, pre-fabricated edifices first came out in the middle of Falkenberg and Wartenberg Road. As years passed, new houses were built as well as roads, sewers, and electricity supplies. On February 02, 1984, with the attendance of Erich Honecker, the GDR State Council Chairman, a housing construction took place. The construction was definitely in full swing. The nearly 30,000 homes that were erected produced a number of restaurants, schools, shops, recreational services, and an association with public transport in the central city.
In the year 1992, the district of Hohenschönhausen only consists of 28 primary schools and 13 secondary schools. Due to its rapid growth in population, it was assumed that the number of students would increase progressively until the year 2000. Supported by the Senate of Berlin, four new schools were established in 1993 up to 1998. However, as years passed, more families migrated to other countries, which resulted to a decline in population. A solution was proposed which suggests the merging of schools. The demolishing of the school buildings that were no longer utilized are still performed at present.
Hohenschönhausen, is probably a less known city as compared to the others in Berlin. However, there are different wonderful sights that tourists could visit. These splendid attractions include the Hohenschönhausen Castle, Memorial Berlin-Hohenschönhausen, the renowned building that was built by Architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and many more.