Named after Queen Sophia Charlotte, Charlottenburg is a district of Berlin surrounded by the borough of Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf. It extends between the Ku’Damm together with Wilmersdorf and Charlottenburg Palace in the north. Most famous for the largest existing royal palace in Berlin and its neighboring Museums, Charlottenburg Palace, with its outlandish embellishment in rococo and baroque style, is a sought after tourist spot in this district of Berlin.
Considered as an independent city in its own right towards Berlin’s west until the year 1920, Charlottenburg was included into the Greater Berlin and was later on converted into a borough. It was combined with the previous borough of Wilmersdorf during the 2001 administrative reform of Berlin. The new borough was identified as Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf. In 2004, the reorganization of the districts’ new boroughs took place. The previous borough of Charlottenburg was split into the localities of Charlottenburg-Nord and Charlottenburg proper.
Stylish villas and apartments could be found at the southern part of the district. Its northern side is a pleasant area to live in. At present, Charlottenburg is a high-class shopping place and a suitable area for city dwellers. Shortly after the First World War, the district boasted a Russian panorama because of the refugees from St. Peterburg after the Russian revolt, which resulted to the nickname of the district, "Charlottograd".
In the later part of the Middle Ages, the land inhabited by Charlottenburg were composed of three villages, which are the farmsteads Lietzow, Casow, and Glienicke. Its population consisted of German and mixed Slavic. Unfortunately, Casow and Glienicke were deserted. Alternatively, Lietzow is the most occupied area.
In the later parts of the 18th century, Charlottenburg turned out to be a recreational area for the growing city of Berlin. In 1770, an original inn was built in the street, Berliner Straße, currently known as Otto-Suhr-Allee, as well as beer gardens and many other inns, which serves as a popular place for parties. During their free time, Berliners love to travel by carriage, boat, and horse-drawn gondolas, and mostly to a huge amusement park at the coast of the Spree River, identified as Flora. In the year 1904, it went into economic failure.
Starting in 1860, affluent city slickers of Berlin discovered Charlottenburg as a suitable place to live in. Among the first people were Ernst Werner von Siemens and Gerson von Bleichroder, owned a villa located at the Berliner Straße in 1862. Large factories were also erected by industrial companies such as Schering and Siemens & Halske. Afterwhich, its development has progressed as population has tremendously increased. The urban planning of parks, sidewalks, wide streets, spacious residential buildings, etc. went underway.
Charlottenburg is also a home to theatres, museums, schools, churches, zoos, shopping malls and more. Some of the famous structures are Charlottenburg town hall, Europa Center, Bahnhof Zoo, and the old and new Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, Berlin Zoological Garden, Berlin University of the Arts, Deutsche Oper Berlin, Museum Berggruen, Museum Scharf-Gerstenberg, the Malteser-Hilfsdienst, Order of Malta among others.